School settles with Concealed Carrying Parent

Posting a picture of your weapons permit on Facebook can get you in trouble with anti-gunners, but thanks to our 1st Amendment, the anti-gun school was forced to settle.

 

The Richmond County school board affirmed the settlement of a lawsuit filed by a former parent volunteer during Tuesday’s meeting, agreeing to contribute $1,000 toward court fees incurred during the dispute.

Tanya Mount, a parent volunteer at McBean Elementary School, filed suit against the school system in November after being banned from the school’s campus and told she would be arrested if she trespassed.

According to the lawsuit, Mount believed her constitutional rights were violated by the school district after she was issued a criminal trespass warning on October 23.

After she was banned from school grounds, Mount transferred her daughter to Goshen Elementary School, where she was not restricted in any way.

In the suit, Mount said McBean’s principal, Janina Dallas, banned her from campus because Mount posted an image of her newly issued Georgia Weapons Carry License on Facebook. Mount said it unfairly violated her right to bear arms.

But the principal and Assistant Superintendent Tim Spivey said Mount had a history of worrying behavior before she posted the image, such as making “inappropriate comments” and wandering into unauthorized areas instead of performing volunteer duties. Those were the reasons she was ultimately banned from the school campus, they said.

Board Attorney Pete Fletcher said Tuesday the charges against the school system had been dismissed, and the case could be settled by contributing $1,000 to court fees. The board voted to affirm the settlement after a short discussion in executive session, offering little comment on the matter afterward.

The lawsuit drew international attention from gun rights advocates last year. People from as far away as Texas and an active duty member of the military in Afghanistan e-mailed and called the school board, voicing disagreement with Mount’s ban from the school.

Following the vote, Georgia Department of Public Health East District Nursing and Clinical Director Tammy Burdeaux and two other public health officials gave a presentation on tuberculosis, answering questions of board members on TB testing.

The report detailed causes, symptoms and infection vectors of tuberculosis and how to properly treat the disease. Board President Venus Cain said she added the report to the agenda to make sure the board understood how important it was for schools to follow TB testing procedures.

“I added this to make sure we get a handle on these situations,” Cain said. “We have to make sure everyone knows what to do to keep the disease from spreading.”

After the presentation, the board voted to approve a motion for Fletcher to create a procedure for working with public health officials during a TB outbreak. The procedure should be in place “before school starts,” board member Jack Padgett said.
Source: http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/education/2014-06-17/richmond-county-school-board-settles-lawsuit-ex-parent-volunteer?v=1403049429

They’re lucky the settlement was for $1,000 instead of $10,000 or $100,000. Listen up, school districts, the only way you can become a Constitution-Free Zone is if you become a 100% private school, because the minute you get one cent of public money, you’re under our jurisdiction.

One Response to School settles with Concealed Carrying Parent

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>