Someone gets hit with a stray bullet, someone hires a lawyer and sues you.

WILLIAMSON COUNTY– Investigators say they’ve confirmed a stray bullet that hit a woman last week in Marion came from Tombstone Gun Range

The woman was half a mile away west of the range, at a union training facitily when she was shot in the face Feb. 19. The gun range now faces legal action.

The Sheriff’s Department likely will not file charges since the shooting was an accident, and Illinois law does not outline regulations for outdoor gun ranges. But that’s not enough for the victim or the union; they question whether safety measures were in place at Tombstone.

Tombstone Gun Range opened in Williamson County less than a year ago.

“After 24 years of doing this and seeing multiple, multiple, multiple shooting victims, my belief is the round didn’t hit anything before it hit her,” explained Captain Brian Thomas with the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office.

The bullet was never recovered, but Thomas says he has no doubt the round came from Tombstone’s rifle area.

“Doesn’t change the fact that they were the only ones shooting from that direction she was hit,” added Thomas.

The victim’s attorney, Doug Dorris, says she is not against guns, and is simply concerned about safety.

“The bullet entered and exited under her chin and she’s still being treated,” Dorris shared.

He’s filing a civil suit on her behalf, to determine whether Tombstone’s owners followed range standards set forth by the National Rifle Association. The union whose member was shot, also plans to sue.

“There’s always an issue of whether a gun range used sufficient safety measures to keep the bullets away from the general public,” Dorris said.

For Thomas, the situation presents a bigger issue. Williamson County does not have zoning or any formal regulations for outdoor gun ranges.

“There just needs to be, I think, a minimum standard set in this county,” Thomas urged.

He’s working with the state’s attorney to draft a safety ordinance to ensure this never happens again. More and more people are heading to the ranges for concealed carry training.

“It’s going to be a continuing issue so I think now is the time, if it can be done, and let’s go ahead and get some standards set,” advised Thomas.

Tombstone’s owners did not return our calls for comment. The union says it will not conduct any training outside its facility until the safety matter with the gun range is resolved

Source: http://www.wsiltv.com/news/local/Legal-Action-Against-Tombstone-Gun-Range-247409561.html